With two pregnancies under my belt I found a couple of must-have, staple items that really helped keep me comfortable as my belly grew through each pregnancy. Comfort is SO SO key when pregnant, I felt like I would do anything and purchase whatever necessary to keep comfortable. Let’s face it, it gets tough carrying a child, especially the last few months — I hope these 5 items help you through!
- Tennis Shoes. Number one, for a reason. Invest in a new, supportive pair of tennis shoes. No excuses. Your back and entire body will thank you. If you can, get fitted for a proper shoe at a local running store or specialized shoe store. They know what they are doing and will get you a shoe with the best support to literally carry you throughout your pregnancy. My personal favorite, Nike Women’s Zoom Pegasus 33 Running Shoe, retails for $110 at Dicks Sporting Goods.
- Maternity Jeans. Never would I ever dream that I would be walking into Motherhood Maternity looking for jeans, but what else is going to fit? I highly recommend the Jessica Simpson brand skinny jeans with the built in high-waist belly band. They fit so well and are actually comfortable .. skinny maternity jeans, comfortable? Yes! Make sure to get the style with the high waist belly band attached, I did not have luck with the maternity jeans with stretch elastic on the side waist band. Let’t just say you want to be covered and tucked in; the attached belly band held true to that. Jessica Simpson Secret Fit Belly Skinny Leg Maternity Jeans, retails for $49 at Motherhood Maternity.
- Maternity Underwear. Yes, really. Your belly isn’t the only thing that grows — invest in underwear that covers it all, comfortably. Again, I found decent options at Motherhood Maternity — I did not shop around for these or seek different options. Covered and comfortable, that’s all I needed — next! Maternity fold-over panties, 3 pack for $14.98 at Motherhood Maternity.
- Layering tanks and long sleeve shirts. My most recent find while shopping in Door County. Simple, stretchy, basic tank tops and long sleeve shirts — I bought them in black, white and nude and wear them everyday as they are so comfortable! The material is tight, almost like Spanx, but so stretchy and covers all the way down around your bottom half. These aren’t meant to be maternity, but they totally work! Best yet, you can wear them forward or backwards to get a v-neck or switch to a more circular, scoop neckline. I am in love. I Feel like I won the maternity find lottery! Be careful when washing — I read after a load of laundry that they should be hand washed. M. Rena layering tanks and long sleeve shirts — found at Wink Boutique in Door County, Wisconsin, Retails for $32-$60 depending on style.
- Maternity Leggings. I am a fitness instructor and studio owner and know my way around a pair of leggings. I wear and sell them every single day. One of my favorite brands, Beyond Yoga, just came out with a maternity fitness line called Beyond the Bump. I am obsessed with it all — tanks, leggings, cardigans. Count me in. Their Spacedye Embrace Long Legging, again has a built in belly band so you are tucked in and covered all day long. Spacedye is what they call the fabric, it feels almost like buttery velvet, so soft to the touch and washes well. These are super stretchy, I would suggest sizing down. Wear them to workout, lounge around the house, or under a tunic or dress — they are the perfect addition to any maternity wardrobe! Retails for $115 — worth the price on this one, I bet it doesn’t take long until you get a second pair!
Good luck and happy pregnancy!